Friday, November 12, 2010

Rice Paddy Adventures with Kyle

Another early morning weekend adventure through a rice paddy!

On Saturday, Kyle took us to...well, I don't exactly know where. We hopped on a tuk-tuk around 7:30am and made our way north across and along the Mekong. Our driver decided not to take the main road, so we ambled around through river villages in the cool morning air. Beautiful. We stopped at a few temples and met some village children. Every kid we meet is so eager to practice English, so it's very exciting for us to be 'celebrities.'

Eventually we arrived at our destination, which ended up being a field in the middle of nowhere. Literally. No buildings or people or landmarks or anything. I was very curious what we were doing, but I've learned to not really ask questions with Kyle's adventures. Just go with it. Works best most of the time!

Regardless of the directionless ambling, we had a great day. We walked through lotus fields and met some local farmers who were busy plowing fields for new crops. Kyle taught us all about the site; we were walking through one of the oldest known archeological sites in all of SE Asia. It's suspected that one of the ruins could potentially be the oldest temple in this whole part of the world! I even found a human bone for my artifact collection! Kyle assured me that I won't have any ghost-followings because archeological sites have to be blessed before they can be excavated. But I always have the protection of my tattoo and my prayer flag from Chisor, just in care.

It started getting hot around 11:30am, so Tim, Anna and I decided to take the muddier routes through the paddies. It gave us an excuse to go barefoot and to cool down in the muddy water :)

Kyle brought us a picnic lunch and we laid around lazily until it was time to go. I fell asleep on the ride home because we were all so exhausted after another Kyle Excursion. Even as I am generally sarcastic about these adventures, I am so thankful for him bringing us to crazy remote and unique places. I know that I'm not getting the typical tourist experience when I'm with him!


Here are some pictures from the day:


Locals carving out a sugar palm tree to make a canoe for the rice paddies
Fields of green rice and red earth as far as you can see
Plowing the fields!
Pots, pots and more pots! Maybe some bones too...these are ancient burial sites
Rice is almost read for harvest!

peace & love

No comments:

Post a Comment