Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Homework? What's that?

So it's my second week of classes and I already feel myself drowning in work! I knew that this semester would be academically challenging, but so far it's A LOT more than I expected!

I am LOVING my gender class, and I'm preparing a presentation for Thursday about some specific gender and feminism theories. I feel pretty comfortable because I am very familiar with the material. It's nice to feel somewhat 'in my element' when everything else is so foreign!

I'm also learning how to meditate in my Buddhism class. It's been very cool because I didn't realize how many misconceptions I had about meditating. A lot of people believe that meditation is about thinking about nothing, but so far in my experiences I'm learning that thinking in a focused and concentrated way is actually okay. It's very difficult, but I've been practicing every day so it's getting a little bit easier. Slowly but surely. 

Tonight, Tim and Lisa and I went to a Starbucks to get some work done. We had to pay for internet (bummer) but I ended up getting a lot of work done in a short amount of time. I think that getting away from campus for a bit helped me focus and tackle the beast.

I'm getting excited for this weekend because Saturday is Community Outreach Day. The international programs coordinates volunteerism projects all over Chiang Mai. I think that I'll be going to an organization called Agape, which is a home for orphans who are HIV positive. A lot of children are abandoned if they are discovered to be HIV positive, and there are a few organizations locally that take int he kids, get them the medicine and give them the love they need to survive.

More after this crazy week!

No comments:

Post a Comment