Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Khantoke Dinner, New Friends, and Market Walks

Hello All!
Last night, the Thai Studies program (comprised of mostly American students, with a handful of other international students) went to the Chiang Mai Cultural Center for dinner. We sat on the floor and shares small tables with many different bowls of food. I learned the proper way to eat 'sticky rice:' take a small bit in your fingers, roll it into a ball, and dip it into whatever sauces are on the table. I tried a pork-tomato sauce that was reminiscent of bolognase sauce. I ate the best curry I think that I've ever had in my life, and we ate fresh fruit for dessert. Everything I tasted was new and amazing, I was in such a happy place as I tried to take it all in. I started reflecting on how even as I am forced to recognize the vast differences between parts of Thai culture and American culture, I am also amazed by the similarities. No matter where you are in the world, people, good food, and conversation is pretty constant. You just do it in a different way.

Fried chicken, pork pastry, sauteed pumpkin, green chiles and sauce, tomato pork, cabbage salad, pork curry, and dried crunchy noodles

My new friends Tim and KK and me enjoying our meal


At the Khantoke dinner, we were also fortunate enough to watch a few performances of traditional Southeastern Asian dance. I was amazed at how beautiful each dance was; the performers are so exact and precise in their movements. After the last dance, the performers invited member of the audience to get on stage and try the dancing...and I decided that it was worth a try! When else am I going to get the opportunity? It was hard, and I'm sure I looked like a fool, but it was a great way to try to understand a part of Thai culture. Here are a few pictures of the dances:
"The Rooster Dance," a tradition in some rural parts of the country

A dance whose story is similar to Romeo and Juliet

"Saw Dance"
"The Fingernail Dance"


The second group of audience members on stage trying the dance



I have made a ton of new friends here! American and Thai! My new Thai friend, Champ, studied at Pitzer College in California all last year. He is really friendly and outgoing, and he took some of us out to a bar after the Khantoke dinner. We met with some of his other Thai friends and had a great time. I didn't get home until 2am, which might be the latest I've ever stayed out since getting to college. My life at home must be pretty boring, huh?

Today was a jam-packed day, again, and I am completely exhausted! Our morning began with a test on our understanding of Southeastern Asian geography and contemporary history. I got a 61% on my quiz, which is only an indication of how much I want and need to learn this semester! We broke for lunch and then went to Thai language class with Loong Gai. We practiced how to pronounce food words, which was very helpful at the market later in the afternoon!

After class, we took a tour of the Chiang Mai Three Kings Museum in the heart of the ancient city. We walked through exhibits depicting the very beginning roots of Chiang Mai city, and learned about contemporary economic and social developments in the region.
The geographical center of ancient Chiang Mai, or "Lanna"
After the museum, we went to visit Wat Chedi Luang, which a small group of us stumbled upon on Saturday afternoon. We arrived just as the monks were summoned for 5 o'clock prayer in the temple. I was amazed to see how young some of the monks-in-training were, and I learned age is irrelevant in terms of respecting and wai-ing a monk. A novice monk, no matter how young, is a spiritual leader and deserves all of one's respect because he practices 10 precepts:
  1. Refrain from killing living things
  2. Refrain from stealing
  3. Refrain from un-chastity (sensuality, sexuality, lust)
  4. Refrain from lying
  5. Refrain from taking intoxicants
  6. Refrain from taking food at inappropriate times (after noon)
  7. Refrain from singing, dancing, playing music or attending entertainment program
  8. Refrain from wearing perfume, cosmetics and garlands
  9. Refrain from sitting on high chairs and sleeping on luxurious, soft beds
  10. Refrain from accepting money

After Wat Chedi Luang, we returned to Waroros Market on the river. I went searching for a specific vendor, but learned that there are two market shifts. Half of the vendors come in the morning until 5pm, and the others come after 5pm for the night market. Along the way, I bought some sohm-o ('sohm' meaning orange, and I have no idea what the 'o' means). It's a fruit sort of like an orange, but resembles white grapefruit in size and color. The flavor is mild but wonderful. I bought a package and ate it for dinner! I also tried a number of other unknown foods. I find that asking what something is is generally pointless because there is rarely a comparable food in English. I have tasted so many delicious things that are brand new, and I have learned that you eat whatever is put in front of you!

The white fruit in packages is 'sohm-o.' A-raawy! (Delicious!)

I'm looking forward to a full night's sleep, ask I have only had sporadic and interrupted rest for the past few days. No orientation until 10 am! Goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment