Friday, August 20, 2010

1 Week in...

I can't believe I've already been here for a week, time seems to be whipping past me. We've done so much in just a few days that I am physically and mentally exhausted. I'm really trying to savor every moment because I know I'll regret not paying attention as my memories start to fade...

I have a Thai nickname! In Thailand, most people go by a nickname because Thai names are so long. "Skylar" is a hard name for Thai-speakers to pronounce, so now I am "Fah" (pronounced with an upward inflection!). It means 'sky,' so it's a very appropriate name!


So much has happened since my last post! In Thai class on Wednesday, we were participants in a market study of potential Thai tea exports. We got to sample four different kinds of tea and rate them; we gave feedback and voted for our favorite. The information will be used by The Tea Research Project to figure out what kinds of tea to export all over the world. I was basically in heaven given that I love tea so much!

Last night, my friend Champ took a big group of us to the night market in downtown Chiang Mai. It's mostly a place for 'farang', but it was fun regardless! There is SO much to see that it's completely overwhelming. We stopped for dinner and then walked the market for a few hours. There are so many unique and beautiful goods that are produced right here in Chiang Mai. I learned how to haggle in Thai (a very very cool new experience!) We're going back tonight because it was so much fun! I have to be careful not to blow all of my money in two nights...Here are some pictures from last night!
KK haggling for a bag



UPDATE: this post took me two sittings because I am so exhausted. Tonight at the market, I ate the most delicious snack that I've had since arriving to Thailand -- roti. I did some research and I think it's actually a version of the Indian kind of roti bread...but this was better than any bread. It's a street food sort of like a French crèpe. The vendor takes a small ball of dough made of eggs, milk, and flour, and spins it out with this crazy hand motion until it's paper thin. They fry it on a flat round griddle with butter and slice a banana for the filling. They fold the dough around the banana and it makes sort of a crispy pocket of delcious-ness. Finally, they top it with chocolate syrup. HOLY MOLY. Highlight of my night, except for the pants that I bought for our village excursion next week. We'll be leaving for Mae Chaem on Monday, and we'll be there until next Saturday. More details soon! 

Tomorrow, I'm riding an elephant!! It's also a birthday for one of the St. Lawrence students, so we're planning a big party at our favorite bar. It should be one heck of a day! I promise to take LOTS of pictures of the elephants -- I'm so excited I can barely sleep! Just kidding...

Love to everyone!!


 

1 comment:

  1. Skye, it sounds like you are having an amazing time! You're making me nostalgic for my semester abroad...
    xoxo
    Alicia

    ReplyDelete